Monday, October 30, 2017

First Days of Winter

The pellet storm during yesterday's drive home was our first taste of real winter this term.  I suppose it should have prepared us for the overcast skies and very cold temperatures today, along with our first little skiff of snow that stayed on the grass and along the street gutters, but didn't accummulate in any large amount.  

It didn't prepare us at all, apparently.

Both of us were so crabby today...not at each other, but just in general.  We paged through the local events paper early in the morning, looking for something we could do to get out and be active, but only one thing appealed to me and my husband wasn't interested in going, as it was an evening lecture over at Luther College and he didn't want to go out in the cold and dark.  

By 5pm, despite a very productive day of getting his computers in the basement room talking to his computers upstairs in the bedroom, making a large pot of rice pudding, ripping a 101 inch zipper out of his tent flap so he can put in a new one, helping me ferry laundry up and down stairs, etc. etc. etc., I found my husband lying on his bed, staring morosely at the ceiling and complaining bitterly about the onset of winter.  I realized that is what was making us both crabby and disinterested in life all day today.  

I didn't even bother to cook the luscious looking pork chops in my refrigerator for dinner tonight.  I found some rather ice encrusted old pitas in the freezer and threw a few spoons of tinned spaghetti sauce over them, with a bit of shredded cheese, before browning them up in the toaster oven.  I really outdid myself by washing up some romaine lettuce leaves and adding a bit of avocado and celery and dressing. That was dinner.  Talk about feeling unmotivated!  We scarfed down our rather inadequate meal and my husband didn't feel like doing so much as even watching tv afterward.

A few minutes later he received a text message from one of his dearest friends here in town, a fellow priest, asking if he wanted to go together to the very lecture my husband had not wanted to bother with when I brought it up earlier in the day.  Within 20 minutes, he was washed, dressed and out the door to meet his friend so they could attend the lecture.  Gone was the morose attitude, the bitterness over the fact of winter's arrival.  He "generously" asked me..."Oh, did you want to come along?"  hahahaha  Of course I said I would stay home tonight.  The notes he shares with me will be almost as interesting as me hearing the lecturer myself anyway.  I am SO glad my husband has a few male friends in this town. He doesn't see them a lot, but I love watching the look of delight when he gets a chance to.  hahaha  So cute!!

I spent the day doing laundry, so my lack of motivation didn't cause me to be completely useless today either.  I enjoyed the exercise of going up and down stairs all day.  Glad I wasn't hoofing it outside in the cold.  

Praying hard that we can both make the adjustment to winter again this year. It seems we have not made a good adjustment the past two winters. I suspect our move here in the -40C temperatures in February of 2015 kind of soured us on the whole season. That was the most brual move we have ever made!

And another reason to feel hard done by at the beginning of winter is that Daylight Savings Time ends at 2am this coming Sunday.  Since our province does not practise DST, it means my parents and sister in law in Alberta will now be 1 hour earlier than we are and our son on the east coast will be 3 (THREE) hours ahead of us.  It makes SKYPE'ing and phoning so much more difficult between us and him. It will take my dear father until a week before DST returns next spring to get it through his head that we are not at the same time he is any more.  Contacting friends in other provinces will once again require far more planning in advance.  I cringe at the thought of the people who want to eliminate DST for the entire country...I LOVE DST as it makes communicating with our friends and family so much easier for us.

We drove through some thick smoke both coming and going from Esterhazy on the weekend that has made my sinuses ache and filled my throat with "gunk". The farmers in the area received permission to burn the cattails around the sloughs this fall in order to free up a few more possible acres for crop in the spring if the moisture situation does not improve between now and next planting season.  At one point we  had to slow to a crawl for several kilometers because the highway visibility was nearly zero.   I can't handle any kind of smoke for more than about 10 seconds before the allergies begin and almost always that leads to a 3 week sinus infection.  So, I have been popping antihistamines and inhaling menthol and hoping for the best cases scenario of the allergy NOT turning into an infection.  Guess I will know in a day or two.  I think that concern, as much or more than the onset of winter, is responsible for me feeling crabby today.  I was in bed, asleep, just after 9pm yesterday and slept for over 9 hours...usually that means my body is fighting some kind of medical issue.  However, I am going to hope for the best!

In about a week's time my husband and I will both be "into" the winter season. We actually do enjoy winter, but the switch in temperature seems so severe after our abnormally hot summer and warm, sunny autumn. Once I have shovelled some snow I will be more excited about the season...I had better be.  I don't want to feel this snarky for the next five months!! hahahaha

No comments: