Monday, October 2, 2017

More Test Results In....Now What??

And so, on this gloomy, dreary, rainy day, the expected phone call about my last week's test results came in early this morning.  I see the doctor tomorrow afternoon.  Now what?  More cholesterol disasters?  High blood sugar?  More blood appearing where it oughtn't to be? Something completely new that is going wrong with the aging bod?  Guess I will know soon enough.

I have reached the age I have dreaded ever since I was old enough to understand there IS an "old age" and that it is a time when you spend as much or more time seeing doctors as you do anything else.  Like poor Job from the Old Testament, the time that I have greatly feared is "come upon me."  

At least I have enough experience now to know that problems like high blood sugar and cholesterol are problems that can be dealt with one way or another over time, using a variety of meds. Although I am not jazzed about those meds, better to take them than to create a huge disaster for myself that could have been avoided if I wasn't so anti-medication in my thinking as a rule.  I have sincerely tried to lower my cholesterol on my own through diet and exercise for the better part of the last 6 months and if it isn't working then I do need help.

At least when the call came I was in the middle of a very, very, very happy visit with my Egyptian friend.  What a nice way to start off an otherwise dreary day.  We talked and laughed and had a great time over a cup of tea. She has her drivers' licence now so will be able to visit more often.  

One reason she planned last week to come see me today was to ask us over for dinner next weekend. Then the call from my husband to hers last evening, asking them to come here, pre-empted their original plans.  The way we left it is that, since they have so many extended family living with them right now, we will split the cooking. I will take a couple of things and she will cook a few things, so neither of us has to do it all.  Fine with me and I don't care about the food as much as I do about the visit.  

My husband is not quite on top of feeling well today.  We are suspicious there may have been just a bit of cornstarch in the gravy of the stew we so enjoyed the other night.  He isn't terribly ill or anything, just exhibiting some of the more minor symptoms of that sensitivity.  He is tearing one of the small bedrooms apart to reinstall the desk and computer system in there in such a way that he will have more light and feel less like he is working in a cell when he does computer work.

So, a quiet day for him and subsequently for me.  It was a busy weekend so I think I am rather glad about that!  I have a tiny roast thawing to cook for dinner tonight and some potatoes and those fresh carrots from the Estevan Farmers' Market, some baby peas and a fresh head of lettuce. I think it will be a nice dinner, simple but tasty.  Only the problem of what to have for lunch to solve and that shouldn't be difficult.

On with the show.........

 

1 comment:

SusanE said...

Let me know what you find out. Always a little nerve wracking. Praying for you! Have a good sleep.
Blessings Susan