Oooh, I am such a sucker for cuteness! It happened again last evening just before dinner time.
I opened my back door after a loud knocking and discovered the African kids who live across the court from me, a family of 1 son and 4 daughters. They were each carrying a plastic bag with a large book of coupons to be used at various restaurants and businesses around town between now and next April. However, the young fellow selling them, about age 11, seemed rather confused about the whole process and that made for great hilarity for me!
The conversation went like this:
Me: Oh, hello. I did hear someone knocking at my door. What can I do for you?
Him (sounding severely burdened): O please, can you buy this book from me for $25?
Me: Maybe, what kind of book is it?
Him (looking confused and agitated): I don't know for sure. I think it is so you can save money on some stuff somewhere.
Me (stifling a giggle as I remembered my own son at the same age): Weeelll, is this a fundraiser for your school?
Him: Ummmm....Yes, I guess so. (4 sisters standing below the deck nodding like a group of bobble head dolls)
Me: What will your school use the money for?
Him: (looking harried and as tired as if the whole weight of the world was on his young shoulders): O lady, I have no idea.......no idea......
Me (shoulders shaking, suppressing the worst case of the giggles EVER! and without even looking at the coupon book to see if I will ever use any of them): Well, I think I could come up with $25 for that. (Giggling again at the look of relief on his face and the excitement of his 4 sisters as they congratulated him on his sale)
Him: O lady, I thank you again and again for helping me out.
Me (after stepping into the living room with my wallet to take out the money so they wouldn't see me nearly collapsing with laughter: Okay, here you go......hey (as he flew back down my back steps and headed for home), don't you have to sign something to take back to school with the money?
Him (grinding to a quick halt at the bottom of the stairs and turning to look at me as if I was asking him to come back and haul garbage or slop out a barn): O...yeah.....thanks. (as he grabbed a form from my hand and took off for home, his sisters in hot pursuit)
I shut the door, and discovered he had not taken any sort of proper form, but instead had taken the sheet from the school that explained to me, the buyer, what the purpose of the fundraiser is and where the money will go. hahahaha I scanned through the large coupon book until I found the form, filled out my part of it and then went over to his family's suite for his signature and to explain to his mother that he had to return the forms and the money together.
The boy's father was there as well, gave a big sigh, rolled his eyes and said, "You bought this from my son didn't you? Not one of the girls, but from my son."
"Yes.", I said, "I did."
"I am sorry for his inability to pay attention to the details.", said his father.
"No worries! I once had an 11 year old boy.", I said. "Wait until he is about 18 or 19 years old. He will figure it all out by then...maybe even by the time he is 17."
"I hope you are right! He is so different from his sisters", said his father rather resignedly.
"Thank you for taking the time to straighten this out.", said his mother.
"No problem. It has been a pleasure finally meeting your family. We are glad you are our neighbours and your kids are really great!", I replied. His parents gave me a weary smile and we parted ways.
Their kids really are great. Their parents work 2 jobs each so the kids take care of each other. They are friendly and kind to the other kids in this complex who don't always deserve such consideration. My husband and I enjoy talking to them occasionally out in the parking lot.
BUT, I suspect I am now doomed for repeat customer sales for every fundraiser their school has. I have the 4 sisters to who I now "owe" a purchase. PLUS, I cannot resist, CANNOT resist cutie patooties like this!
As it turns out I will easily save far more money than I paid for this coupon book if I go ahead and use a few of them. I can recoup my money and then some just by using 4 or 5 coupons and the rest of what appears to be several THOUSAND of the things can be passed on or let lapse. I was having so much fun with this situation I almost made myself late for dinner and the theatre with my friends. hahahahaha
1 comment:
Haha. Thanks for sharing that cute story😆
Post a Comment