Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Dawdling About

As I looked out my bedroom window earlier this morning and noticed the dark clouds forming to the west, just behind the ray of sunshine coming around our building from the east, I decided I wanted to get one more walk in before the ugly weather arrives this afternoon or evening.  

I looked at the big stack of books I have read over the past couple of months and decided it would be a reason to take a walk to the community library box and drop them off there.  The distance on an "as the crow flies" sort of route is about 7 or 8 blocks and that is the route I opted for because of the heaviness of the bag.  The wind wasn't too strong, the temperature was +6C, cool enough to wear a light sweater under my raincoat and to need to zip the coat right up under my chin, don some light gloves, but still, with the sunshine, quite pleasant for wandering about.  Last time I was at the box was quite a few weeks ago. It had been vandalized and the glass in the door was completely shattered, with a few sharp, broken bits still sticking up from the bottom of the wooden door.  I wondered if I was carrying all the books for nothing, if I would discover the box had been taken right out.  What a lovely surprise to find it freshly painted and with new glass that has been reinforced with metal bars.  It is now called a Community Swap Box and besides books there were baby items, toys, some small adult clothing items and what have you.  Great idea!  It is a bit of a depressed neighbourhood around there and I am sure those items will be recycled very soon.

Walking home I couldn't face taking the quick route with the heavy bag of books having been emptied. So, I opted for the longest route I could figure out without going far out of my way.  I was able to turn the walk home into 14 blocks and I enjoyed every step. The sun felt so good shining in under the cooler winds. There was enough heat in it to warm the windblown hair on top of my head.  So lovely!

I have been home now for about 20 mintues. The sun has completely disappeared from view, the clouds are thickening up and turning the shiny whitish grey that indicates there is moisture up there somewhere just waiting to drop.  I suspect we will not go from dryness to snow, but end up with enough rain first to develop a bad freeze under foot by morning.  Eventually it will turn to snow, but the rain will come first.  It almost always has in recent years.  By the weekend even the daytime high temperatures will be below zero.

What a treat to have been able to get out and walk once again this morning.  What a treat to get a huge bag of books out of the teensy bedroom here.  This afternoon I will exercise by cleaning the downstairs of our suite.  In the morning I have to run errands and grocery shop no matter what the weather is like because tomorrow is pay day and that is THE day to do such things each month, haha.  Then I can clean the upstairs of the suite in the afternoon.  I like having the home chores planned out in advance.  Once I can't get out and walk every day I know I will get even more done inside just to keep active. It is all good!

No comments: