Monday, October 9, 2017

Our Egyptian Thanksgiving Feast

Sated!

That is the only word to describe how we felt last evening as we dragged our food stuffed bodies outside our friends' home and into our vehicle for the drive home after a gigantic Thanksgiving feast.  Urp!!!

We enjoyed a wonderful meal together, visited until we were nearly out of words, swapped stories from both Christian and Muslim traditions and scriptures, watched an excellent movie together, The Accountant, enjoyed watching and listening to the five children in attendance as they played, we scratched the kitty cat's tummy, and had a cozy time together.  Today we are completely exhausted, but very happy on this sunny but chilly day...it is noon and still only +5C heading to a high of +11cC this afternoon.

I have to share the fabulous menu with you: 
--2 kinds of garlic bread (their favourite kind and our favourite kind)
--my own mixed bean salad with white balsamic vinegar
--chopped parsley, onion and tomato salad
--rice flavoured with shimp broth
--giant shrimp
--shrimp broth soup
--flounder in tomato sauce
--smoked BBQ salmon in maple glaze
--breaded tilapia with herbs
--fresh mussels in the shell
--home made tahine/tartar sauce
--almond cake dessert (my only other contribution)
--latte
--tea with freshly picked mint
--iced hibiscus tea

YES I OVER ATE!!   WHAT high blood sugar?  WHAT high cholesterol??  I mean, when you are invited to participate in such a sumptuous seafood banquet how do you possible follow ALL the dietary rules for those sad conditions, right?  (I suppose I could have followed one or two, but what fun would that have been, right?)

After making the correlation between my skyrocketing cholesterol and the stoppage of the ingestion of oats nearly a year ago, I decided yesterday morning to begin the attempt to reintroduce them to my diet in the hope of deflecting the taking of statins and other meds for awhile longer.  I admit that after last night, I guiltily doubled my breakfast oat intake this morning....not that it is going to help anything physically, it just makes me feel better emotionally about last night's indulgences. Told you, I am a joyous promoter of denial!   (2 days now in a row with the oats and so far no reaction....here's hoping that will last!!)

Today both my husband and I feel like we have been run over by a truck...too much rich food that equaled a somewhat interrupted sleep overnight.  It was SO worth it, SO worth it, but we have put the leftover fish our hosts sent home with us into the freezer for another time.  Today it is plain chicken breasts for lunch and dinner...maybe with a bit of bread and vinegar to go with them.  Gotta pay our penance for last evening's diet debacle. 

It was heaven on a platter for us!!

No comments: