Definitely a sign of the economic downturn around here: people are moving out month after month from our complex and the empty suites are not being filled. In the past week our own court has lost its Venezuelan family, the cyclists who had the most amazing bikes we have ever seen, the girl students who have nearly driven us crazy at the start of every new university term with their parties and today we are losing our dear Chinese neighbours and their adorable little dog who has kept the geese at bay since the end of May.
I can understand why people are leaving this complex. Despite renter incentives here, there are still better deals opening up all over the city due to the number of people leaving Regina for better employment pastures elsewhere. There are simply many newer units in far better shape than these just begging for new tenants and those are where our neighbours are all heading. Our own complex is being so good to new tenants for their first year's lease, as well as installing new flooring and appliances in all the empty suites to try to lure them in. In fact our mangement company is being SO good to the newbies it is tempting to feel resentful as I look at our elderly, rather ruined carpeting, disastrous old kitchen linoleum and the appliances that are all on the verge of cratering. I have put up for over 2 years with an oven that doesn't heat to the proper temperature and a refrigerator that has a wobbly door with split sealer and although our rent has decreased by two hundred dollars a month since we moved in, we are still paying quite a bit more for OUR leaky basement than the new tenants are for theirs.
Actually I am fine with it. My husband kind of got a kick out of resealing the basement walls to the best of his ability. There is no way I am spending the money and physical effort required to find another place to live when our location is so perfect and our remaining neighbours are so sweet. It would just be nice to have the new flooring and appliances the new people are getting for far less money per month than what we are paying. That is just the way it goes with rental units at the best of times. I remember the apt. we had in Moose Jaw years ago and the hassle and stress we went through having to move everything we owned around and around the suite when new carpeting was installed the year before we moved out. Here, it doesn't matter what kind of improvements they make in the decorating and appliances because the basement will be leaking like a sieve again by the time we move out of here. New sealant only works for so long with the amount of water running into the foundation.
Speaking of all the "stuff" we will have to move when we leave here, my wonderful husband has decided it is time to unload a bunch of his old computer parts and camping gear and toss them into the garbage!! I can hardly believe it! I am ecstatic!! When this will actually happen is anyone's guess as he has no time to sort through the things any more at the moment, but he has proven in the past that once he does decide to toss something out it WILL go out! Bless you my dear, dear husband! Everything you get rid of now will be one less thing that has to be moved when the time comes.
We have decided which of the Rozendal vinegars we ordered are our most favourite. Mine is the lavender and my husband's is the green tea. We both like the fynbos and we even like the hibiscus, despite not being big fans of other hibiscus products. Mmmmm, Rozendal....you make fantastic wines and equally fantastic botanical vinegars. No, Auntie Phyl, there is no alcohol in the vinegars. Just so you know......
We each drink 1 tbsp. of vinegar per day for boosting our general physical health. Yup, straight botanical vinegar. It is great for me to consume with a carby sort of meal because it does slow down the rate of absorption.
Speaking of meals, I see that it is now lunch time, so time to eat! I am on my 4th load of laundry of 6 today, have finished dusting and vaccuming the upstairs and now have only the other 2 loads of laundry to do and the bathroom fixtures to wash off. It is a lovely, sunny day and when I am finished with my housework I am going for a walk in the daytime high of +19C as it is the last warm day for a very long time. Our first snow is predicted for a week from tomorrow, but the forecast will change 47 times between now and then so who knows?? In the meantime I have some Indian herb'd chicken and rice awaiting me. YUM! Think I will also make a salad...with some kind of exotic vinegar dressing!!
No comments:
Post a Comment