I can tell I am getting more used to living here of late. Every time I get a chance to get away, like this past weekend, I leap at it, enjoy the time away immensely, but then am very happy to return home again. It has been a long time since I last felt that way.
I enjoyed my sleep in yesterday in my own maple bug free bed, hahaha. I enjoyed lingering over breakfast with no stress to have to run off anywhere....just what the doctor has ordered.....I enjoyed getting ready for choir rehearsal and the rehearsal itself, both the singing and the bit of visiting. I enjoyed making a DIY dinner last night, my husband and I each picking away at some leftovers of our choice, finishing off the Philippine dinner rolls, trying a new jar of low sugar jam, a few slices of PC low fat Swiss cheese, a bit of chicken curry and lamb kabab. It was a crazy dinner and such fun to have all those bits and pieces of "stuff" to eat. Today is a cooking day and so I will enjoy that after a 3 day break. My body is craving more home made food like I had for the two dinners at friends' houses when I was out of town.
Up and going this morning right at 7am, a nice breakfast together with my husband and then driving him to work. I don't think the rest of the office staff are losing their days off today if the complete lack of cars in the office parking lot is any indication. I suspect my husband is kind of hoping that is the case so he can work without any interruptions today, completing the last minute details for this coming weekend's Diocesan Synod. I just pray he can push into this very long week with no days off again and not collapse as soon as Synod ends. At least he knows he has next Monday off as Synod ends sometime on Sunday. I will be so relieved to have it over with, but I also pray it is an excellent time of making changes to the Canons, getting some financial issues dealt with and all the other business decisions that must be made by Synod delegates for our diocese. I am amazed and comforted by the grace of God evidenced in my husband's health to date with all the stress he has been under and the very few days off in the past 2 months.
Decided to go and purchase one of my rare large loads of groceries after I dropped my husband at work. For the first time I shopped at the newer Superstore on Albert street instead of at my beloved Mike's YIG. Lately I have been comparing prices more and more and discovering that a recent rise in Mike's prices are going to limit my buying there now. I will support that neighbourhood grocery for items I need in a hurry because it is a nice walk there and back and it is close if I only need a few items in a hurry, but this week I was able to compare the flyers and the sales as well for both stores and o my....I NEED to switch to the Superstore that is much farther away for bigger loads. It is disappointing. I truly believe in supporting a neighbourhood independent grocer, BUT I have to be realistic about the financial side of things just now. Yikes, what a difference in some of the prices between stores. That was not the case until fairly recently. I am actually shocked at how things have changed so much.
After lunch my exercise will consist of a big load of ironing! I am so embarrassed by the amount of food I slopped on myself last week while not only cooking, but also when eating the results of my efforts! hahaha Two days in a row I had to change clothes after lunch!! Now that is very sad! hahaha Oops, slop, bring the mop!!
Tonight we have some boxing matches to watch after dinner. My husband has graduated from burying his head in his home PC to watching tv with me. hahaha He is pacing himself by coming home at reasonable times this week, maybe going in a bit late in the mornings to compensate for the tiredness. He has become very good at pacing himself over this year and I am proud of him for finally figuring out how best to do that. We are getting too old to go full out every day of every week.
The saga of my husband's missing fedora continues. 2 weeks ago we had a call that the waitress we had at the restaurant where he lost it had located the customer who took it and that customer was prepared to return it. Yesterday my husband went for a walk over to the restaurant to see what was happening. Yes, the same waitress said, she was confident the person would be in that very evening, so my husband left his phone number....again....heard nothing by evening, so drove over before closing time, just in case. Again, no hat, but at least his phone number was taped to the cash register. We are getting quite a kick out of this whole thing now. Slowly we are building relationship with all the young folk on staff. They likely think we are two old kooks, continuing to try to get "only" a hat back for the past 2 months, but they are cheerful and welcoming and seem to get quite a kick out of us. Whatever is REALLY going on with the hat and its probable new owner, good things are coming out of this silly event and it seems God's hand is in it...crazy as that sounds I am sure to some of you readers.
We also SKYPE'd with our son last night. It was so good to see him live on the computer screen instead of only hearing his somewhat disembodied voice over the scratchy telephone connection. He is doing well and we are very happy for him.
It is not such a bad day today! The sun is shining. It may go as high as +17C today and tomorrow. It is not freezing overnight lately. Only twice have we had to scrape the car windshield this fall.
Yup, a very nice day indeed....in my own town....shopping in my own stores...sleeping in my own bed....yup....I like it! This afternoon the maintenance fellows are coming to do the fall smoke alarm check and change the furnace filter. They are always so friendly and talkative...and CHEERY! I think them knowing how much I like their native Philippine food contributes to their willingness to chat. They can't understand why I like their cultural foods so much. hahaha They certainly do not like Canadian food, so why I would like their foods is beyond their comprehension. We have had lots of chatter about that. hahaha
No comments:
Post a Comment