...to leave us with a wonderful reminder of what the weather can be like here when we are not having winter. Today is very beautiful and will serve as a happy memory on the days when the roads are covered with ice, the snow is piled up all around and the temperatures are in the -40C range.
I have been awake since just after 4am, have worked hard today and am very tired. I almost didn't go for my afternoon walk, but I am so grateful the energy and motivation to do so came from somewhere.
It is so warm and sunny that I liberated a pair of summer sandals from storage, as well as a sleeveless blouse and a short sleeved shrug sweater. I put on a pair of light pants with these summer items and wandered over to the grocery store and the post box, taking my time, following the longest possible routes there and back. It is windy, but even the wind has lost the bitter edge it has had over the past 10 days. I dallied and dithered about and ended up taking 3 times longer than usual to cover my route. It felt SO good to be out in the warmth and sunshine. The wasp activity is down to almost none at all, the maple bugs have dispersed since the first couple of cold days. There are no geese about the area. It is as perfect as an autumn day can be.
Now I am ready for a nap. However, there are still 2 loads of laundry to fold and put away and I have dawdled about outside long past my deadline for cleaning the bathroom fixtures. Maybe I will compromise: I will take care of the laundry, then nap and leave the bathroom for tomorrow morning after my husband goes to work. There is nothing else on my agenda for tomorrow anyway and it will be a much cooler day apparently.
Thank you Lord for this marvellous day, this reminder of what is loveable about the weather here on days like this, for the happy memory to hang onto when I am frustrated by the seemingly never ending winter that is coming soon. Every winter on the prairies seems never ending, but I have made a note of this day on my calendar and will read the note each time I am temtped to be discouraged by the upcoming ice and snow.
Apart from losing some more excellent neighbours today, it is a beautiful day in the neighbourhood!!
No comments:
Post a Comment