A good time was had by the 6 of us who attended the Globe Theatre's production of the musical Bittergirl. What a great performance...so enjoyable. I would have loved it if all they had done was sing the songs they sang, all familiar, some really great oldies, but the play was witty and fun as well. It was so well cast and the acting was excellent. I am always amazed when a total cast of only 4 actors, working on the simplest sets and props in the world, can keep me so entertained for nearly 2 hours. I will certainly keep an eye peeled for any upcoming plays in this city that feature such stellar actors as these:
Sarah Carle, presently living and working in theatre in Victoria BC
Ma-Anne Dionisio, veteran young actress who has appeared in well known stage, tv and film productions all over Canada
Kaitlyn Semple, regular Globe Theatre performances and well known performer throughout western Canada
Robbie Towns, well trained in Scotland and Canada, performing on stages around the world
The live musicians were so cool, so laid back in their '60's style dresses and GoGo boots and black geometric cut wigs. They were so talented and rarely over played the singing of the actors....thanks to the sound techs who made sure of that. It was only once or twice I felt the lyrics were being drowned out by the instrumentals. In this day and age that is nothing short of a miracle!! haha
Before the play the 6 of us had dinner at The Capitol on Hamilton. The meals the others ordered looked and apparently tasted delicious, so were much closer to being worth the price than my tasty enough, but HUGELY overpriced caesar salad with a half a chicken breast for which I paid an additonal $7. In the end I paid a total of $24 for a small pile of lettuce, a dozen capers and that barely seasoned chicken breast. Sigh....shades of our past attempt to eat at the only Greek restaurant in the city......at least this one came with dressing on the side so I didn't have to eat slop that was parading about as a salad. It would have been nice also, cholesterol count aside, if the cheese that was supposed to be on the salad had actually been on the salad. Everyone else was quite delighted with their meals, so I didn't want to be the lone complainer and I said nothing, just munched away on my bowl of shredded lettuce and vowed never to order that salad again. Sometime when I can have a cheat day on my diet, I will return and try one of the hot meals. They looked and smelled delicious. Unfortunately every single one, right down to the burgers, included ingredients I shouldn't have. BUT I will return and try one sometime. We were all glad to discover we arrived before the end of Happy Hour, so paid what is a regular full price for a glass of wine at other local establishments. The service was excellent and that was much appreciated. When they found out we were on our way to the theatre they all bent over backward to make sure we could be done in time to make it to the play. So, kind of an interesting first visit to the Capitol, but there were good elements so the place is worth a second chance.
Got home in time to visit a bit with my husband before he fell into bed.
This morning I headed over to Home Depot to replace the large mat that sits in my kitchen between the back door and the sink. The one I purchased nearly a year ago has become so wretched I can't stand it any more. I was so happy to discover the kind of matting I want on large pull out rolls at the store. The clerk cut me a 6 foot length. I paid less than 2/3 of the price of the same matting pre-cut. It looks very nice in the kitchen and I tossed the other grubby mat into the outdoor bin before my husband could come home and figure he had a use for the horrible, filthy thing. hahahahaha
This afternoon I am going to destress from all the medical "stuff" and catch up on a couple of tv programmes I recorded on the weekend. I can do a lot of exercising while they are playing and wear off last night's expensive lettuce! hahaha
No comments:
Post a Comment