Friday, October 20, 2017

Company's Coming

After no word from him for the past year, my former physiotherapist has contacted us and is coming to visit for a couple of days in November.  We are so looking forward to the visit.  

He is the easiest company in the world to have: in the past he has arrived with a thin bedroll and is happy to wrap up in it and cram himself between the bookcases in the little library my husband has squeezed into the tiny third bedroom.  He doesn't stir all night, so the horribly squeaky floors are no problem.  He eats like a sparrow and always has a meal plan in mind for us all.  He has strict parameters for himself and us on how long he is going to stay and what is going to happen while he is here. I often wonder if OCD is a factor or if it is just his cultural upbringing.  Either way it keeps things easy as we have almost no decisions to make about anything when he comes to visit. hahaha

He will arrive on a Thursday at 4pm. (although usually that means he will be here by 1:30 or 2pm, hahaha) He will bring a bottle of wine so that the 3 of us can have a bit of a Happy Hour and then we are going out for dinner so we don't have to waste visiting time to do cooking. (although I suspect it is because he is such a persnickety eater and hasn't actually enjoyed any meal I have made for him to date)  I am sure he will know exactly what sort of food he wants and I suspect we will be at one of the nicer pubs so he and my husband can enjoy a bottle of beer, (not a can nor a tap run), and then we will all be in bed before 9pm so we can all wake up early the next morning, him at 4am so he can quietly do morning prayers, us at 6:30am so we can join him for breakfast....well, for him that usually only means coffee, so I will have to find some of that to make....my husband will then head for work, taking the fellow with him for a tour of the office building and from there either our friend will head for home or have other plans for us all once my husband is done work at noon that day. hahaha See, easy peasey!  No plans for us to make, no work to go to to accommodate him.  

He is, quite literally, the only person I can handle having overnight here in this small space with its one tiny bathroom and floors so squeaky I suspect I have a subconscious fear of them caving in one day and finding ourselves buried under the pile of books, beds, desks and other rubble spread all over the living room floor, or maybe even the basement, where couches, chairs, china, tv's, cabinets and the kitchen island would be added to the disastrous mess!!

I am glad he is such an easy guest because I have other stresses of my own that weekend.  There is a choir practise that wasn't originally on the schedule and I am not sure I can make it. If I can't it will be the third rehearsal in a row I will be missing.  Not good since we only have 6 practises or so before the Christmas concert. Missing half of them is not a good thing.  I am not only also learning hymns to play for church that Sunday, I am also accompanying a young trumpet player who is going to join us for some of those hymns.  I haven't had to play for church in over a year now, haven't had to play for anything and have quite enjoyed NOT doing that.  So, even though it is a small undertaking, I am a bit stessed by it.

In my old age I seem to have developed an intense longing for freedom from committments of all kinds....playing the piano, sticking to a choir rehearsal schedule, travel plans for myself, even though I still enjoy most of those things.  I don't feel like planning anything in advance if I don't have to.  For some reason I am kind of enjoying the sort of daily lollygagging around, last minute decisions of how to spend my day, I have been doing over the past few months. I didn't enjoy it at first, but as time has passed I have now developed quite an enjoyment of it.  Go figure..........

No comments: